Two months ago I decided to spend some time researching and understanding why the African American vote goes mostly to the Democratic Party. The re-election of Barack Obama was no exception, some sites citing that 95% of blacks voted for him. Why does this demographic support the party that began the KKK and deny the Republican party which was founded on the anti-slavery movement? Watch this video (5 min.) to see the Republican and Democrat Timeline. First, it is important to understands the major problems facing the black community today. These issues cited below are shocking and they need to be addressed by someone no matter which party they support.
- African Americans make up 12.9% of the total U.S. Population (Office of Minority Health)
- 32.5% of African Americans in the U.S. are married. This is compared to 78% in 1950. (Census data cited in Mandara and Murray (2000)
- African Americans are aborting more babies that birthing. 1,876 African Abortions every day compared to 589,808 births each year (2010, CDC)
- Even though African Americans make up 13%of the total population, they have 36% of the abortions in the U.S. (2010 CDC)
WELFARE VS EMPLOYMENT
- Under Obama’s first 4 years as president, the African American unemployment rate went from 8.1% in 2008 to 14.4% in 2012 (Dept. of Labor)
- 4.3 million Americans on welfare, 39.8% are African American (Dept. of Labor)
- 46.6 million Americans on Food Stamps (Dept of Commerce-10/15/2012)
- 40 states pay welfare recipients more than $8/hour (Dept of Commerce-10/15/2012)
- Top 10 States with the Highest Hourly Wage for Welfare all voted Obama in 2012. They are: Hawaii ($17.50/hr), Alaska ($15.48/hr), Massachusetts ($14.66/hr), Connecticut ($14.23), Washington D.C. ($13.99), New York ($13.13/hr), New Jersey ($12.55), Rhode Island ($12.55/hr), California ($11.59/hr), Virginia ($11.11) (Dept of Commerce-10/15/2012)
So here is my question. What has the Democratic party done to help this group?
- Democrats continue to promote easy access to abortion which is wiping the African American population off the map.
- Democrats continue to push more funding into socialist programs like welfare and food stamps. Yet, without reform these programs are mrore competitive than actually holding a job. It is keeping people in the program and doesn’t reward them for making achievements.
- 83% of African Americans are Christian (Pew Research, 2007); yet the Democratic Party has problems accepting God into their political platforms. Click here to see the video
I hope that one thing the Republican Party learned in the last election is that they need to do a much better job reaching out to the individual, to show their sincerity and compassion no matter what their race or economic condition is.